Women Empowerment through Sport (WEtS)
“Women empowerment through sport” (WEtS) is a 24 month Capacity Building in the field of Youth project coordinated by the Bulgarian organization “Champions Factory”, with MVNGO in the role of a partner organization. The project involves an international Consortium of 6 organisations from Europe (Bulgaria and Italy), Africa (Kenya and Tanzania) and Asia (Nepal and Cambodia).
Gender discrimination and inequality is a well known structural phenomenal of endemic proportion in both Europe and the world. The patriarchal character distinguishing family relations and social structures in the involved countries, combined with a widely diffused conservative mindset on local level, acts as a further driver of social sanction to the phenomena of discrimination, stereotyping and abuse at risk of perpetuating itself through being transmitted to younger generations.
The project aims at developing, testing and spreading new educational methodologies for women empowerment through Sport with the aim to enhance the capacity of the partner organisations and beyond.
– To rise awareness of the importance of empowerment of young women
– To share, transfer, improve and develop tools and working Empowerment through Sport methods
– To train youth workers and leaders through non formal education on how to use sport to empower young women
– Through Participation the youth workers will develop knowledge, understanding and basic skills that promote and encourage women empowerment, while understanding the educational benefits of sport and physical activity.
– To break stereotypes
– To promote cultural and ethnic values and break gender stereotypes
– To create a web-page, handbook with good practices(programs and workshops) and a video, that can be used by both: the partner organisations and all organisations working in the field.
WEtS foresees the following activities:
1- Kick-off Meeting at Sofia (Bulgaria)
Participants: 18 youth workers (3 per partner organization)
2- Training Course “Sport-the power of women empowerment” at Nairobi (Kenya)
Participants: 24 (4 Youth workers per partner organization)
3- Job Shadowing “Footbal for Empowerment” in Cambodia Phnom Penh)
Participants: 2 youth wrkers and youth leaders per partner organization will be hosted by the Cambodian partner.
4- Awareness-Raising Campaign at the local level in each partner country
Participants: The Campaign wil be deploye through conferences, events and seminars. The aim is to reach out to at least 80 persons per country.
5- Leaders’ Transnational Meeting at Kathmanduu (Nepal)
Participants: 18 leaders (3 per partner organization)
6- Youth Exchange “Youth Power” at Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania)
Participants: 36 participants (4 per partner)
7- Closing Conference “Women empowerment through Sport” at Sassari (Sardinia)
Participants: 18 youth workers and youth leaders (1 Youth worker and 2 leaders per partner organization)